Giving Back 2019
The Camera Bits team had a wonderful time participating in a number of community services activities throughout the year and are looking forward to continue giving back in 2020. If you’re looking to give back, here is a list of a few organizations, both photography and non-photography based, who are doing meaningful work in communities throughout the country. Whether or not you are able to get out to volunteer or donate today, these groups offer great ways to give back all year long.
These photography-based organizations are always looking for donations and photographers to donate their time and talents:
- 100 Cameras: 100 Cameras works with kids around the world who have experienced traumatic circumstances, teaching them to process and tell their stories through photography.
- House of Hopes: Through a national network of volunteer photographers, House of Hopes offers gifted photography sessions to families for a variety of special occasions.
- Magic Hour: Magic Hour offers free photo sessions for families whose loved ones are going through serious illnesses.
- NYCSalt: NYC Salt’s mission is to engage, inspire and empower youth from underserved communities in New York City to reach their full potential through photography and visual arts.
- Help Portrait Oregon: Help Portrait is a movement of photographers who are using their time, equipment and expertise to give back to those who are less fortunate this holiday season. There are other Help Portrait groups around the country. Check and see if there is one near you!
For those in the Portland area, these local organizations can always use your help:
- Oregon Food Bank: The Oregon Food Bank works to eliminate hunger by distributing donated food through a statewide network of 21 regional food banks and 1,200 food assistance sites.
- Hands On Portland: Hands On connects thousands of volunteers to projects ranging from building houses and hiking trails to tutoring kinds and caring for abandoned pets.
- Meals on Wheels: Meals on Wheels serves hot, nutritious meals at dozens of dining centers in the area.
- Oregon Humane Society: The Oregon Human Society rescues, heals and adopts more than 11,000 pets each year.
- Habitat for Humanity: This global nonprofit works towards their vision by building strength, stability and self-reliance in partnerships with families in need of decent and affordable housing.
We hope to see you out there! Here are a few highlights from our Community Service days throughout 2019:
Oregon Food Bank
Photographing the AWL Trails to Table 2019 Event